Schooling your horse is fundamental to any equestrian activity, so getting it right is essential to you and your horse's progression. "101 Schooling Exercises" enables you to plan the exercises you want to ride according to you and your horse's level of ability.Whether you want to increase your horse's balance, general impulsion or practise more advance lateral work the easy-to-follow exercises explain everything in order for you to ride the movement correctly, what may go wrong and advice on how to correct it.Each exercise is accompanied by an aerial illustration of the arena and additional diagrams showing the rider's position, including where the emphasis should be on the rider's aids. Stars from the equestrian world also divulge their favourite training exercises including top celebrity tips and advice.
Jaki Bell began riding in her mid-30s. In 1999 she joined Horse magazine as head of the editorial team, she is now Deputy Editor of Horse & Hound. Andrew Day is a former international event rider and Senior Lecturer at the Training the Teachers of Tomorrow Trust (TTT). He conducts clinics training beginners to Grand Prix level riders.
- 1 Rhythm, Balance and Impulsion: transitions
- 2 Supple = Straight: circles
- 3 Even on Both Sides: serpentines
- 4 Loose and Agile: leg yielding
- 5 Control, Collection and Impulsion: shoulder in
- 6 Power from Behind: travers and renvers
- 7 The Gymnastic Horse: half pass
- 8 Strengthening the Canter: counter canter
- 9 Getting off the Ground: flying changes